Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Wednesdays get happy with Choir! Choir! Choir!


What I'm doing today to improve today

Two things: one for my spirit and one for the health of my bod.

1. Singing! 

No matter how rotten a day or week I'm having, I can count on a gigantic humungous improvement in my Wednesdays just by going down to the Monarch Tavern at 7:30 and singing my brains out with Choir! Choir! Choir! with a nice cool pint of house draft in hand.

Each week our ChoirDads teach us two songs, which we learn by listening to them singing our parts, and singing them back.

The vid is from last year, with the group of us singing Tom Petty's Free Falling. I could barely speak by the time the night was over, but as you might glean if you have the wherewithall to watch the whole thing (we really like to milk the final chorus some nights), it's a whole lot of fun.

Tonight we're singing two Robyn tunes:  Dancing on my Own, and Call your Girlfriend.

 2. A shoulder workout

As a desk jockey, editing and writing for a quarter century, my shoulders – especially the right one – are giving me grief. I've got exercises from my physiotherapist, and I've got a DVD with an hour-long shoulder workout.

Which leads me to this bit of wisdom: Sometimes the things you do to improve your day make it a teeny bit worse.

I started with the shoulder exercises my physiotherapist gave me. All of them. Good on me! Then I did the entire Shoulder Shape-up yoga DVD.

Yay, right? Well, I guess I shouldn't have done the dolphin pose because I was in the middle of doing it (and it's hard), and a muscle in my neck, going down my back along the inside of my shoulder blade got very upset.

On the positive side, I've learned a valuable lesson on not becoming overzealous in my fitness and mobility endeavours.

Ideas for you (if you're interested in listening to my ideas, that is) to improve today:
• Put on a favourite tune from your formative years, and sing along to it, preferably at the top of your lungs.
• And, if your healthcare professional has given you exercises lately, do them! And don't wreck yourself like I did by going beyond your fitness level and into the pain cave.

Namaste.




No comments:

Post a Comment