Monday, June 10, 2013

It doesn't work this way. Well how does it work?

Here's something weird. Not cray-cray weird. Just one of those small moments that show up from time to time in this funny old world.

This morning, as I was getting ready for work, my mind wandered around, as it does, and I thought of the "I love that you..." speech Harry makes to Sally in the last scene of the movie.

Sally: I'm sorry Harry, I know it's New Years Eve, I know
you're feeling lonely, but you just can't show up here, tell me
you love me and expect that to make everything alright.
It doesn't work this way.
Harry: Well how does it work?
Sally: I don't know but not this way.
Harry: Well how about this way. I love that you get
cold when it's seventy one degrees out, I love that it takes you an hour
and a half to order a sandwich, I love that you get a little crinkle
above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts, I love that
after I spend a day with you I can still smell your perfume on my clothes
and I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go
to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because
it's New Years Eve. I came here tonight because when you realise you want
to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of the
life to start as soon as possible.
 
I love this scene, and I love this movie. But never mind.

I get on the subway; it's a bit crowded, so I'm able while standing to read over a young woman's shoulder. What's she reading? The screenplay for When Harry Met Sally. What page is she on? The page with this very scene.

In the 28 years I've been riding the subway I don't think I've ever read a screenplay over someone's shoulder. (I read them though. You should know, just in case you ever get the chance to *quietly, please* read over my shoulder.)

Ain't it a funny old world? And ain't life grand?

2 comments:

  1. Cool. How does one come by screenplays to read? Do they sell them at bookstores? And here's another question: was When Harry Met Sally written by a woman? It sounds like it was written by a woman...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I either order them from the library, or, yes, some bookstores have them - often in the theatre section, where you'll also find scripts. My friend Phillipa Martin, who has written screenplays, lives in Melbourne and would likely be a good source for where to look there. She's easy to reach via her website: http://www.pdmartin.com.au/

    And, yes, WHMS sure was written by the late, great Nora Ephron. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001188/

    ReplyDelete