Monday, January 2, 2012

More evolutions, revolutions and resolutions

I read The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin, over the holidays, and it's inspired me to continue on my road to getting my shite together. I'm not totally concerned about feeling "happy"; it didn't seem that Gretchin Rubin was unhappy; that wasn't the point (in my opinion). Like me, I think she just wanted to kick it up a notch.

Plus I found that she and I have a little tiny bit of St. Teresa kismet. She discovered along her journey that she was finding inspiration in St. Thérèse of Lisieux; I recently found inspiration in another St. Teresa (of Avila) who has a wonderful a quote on patience, which I sought out and found one busy, exasperating day at work: Patience achieves all that it strives for. What I glean from this is that if you need patience and work to try to be patient, you get some. The idea, at the time I needed it, was like putting a good anti-itch cream on a mosquito bite. It also made me feel like St. Teresa likely'd had a pretty good inkling of the intense irritation I was feeling.

On that day, I was striving to not yell at someone who was driving me crazy. Gretchin's St. Thérèse had a similar situation and rose above it beautifully.  

Back to New Year's resolutions and The Happiness Project. I'm quite happy with how my decluttering efforts through 2011 have evolved into a routine of culling, sorting, and taking stuff to Goodwill. And I'm happy generally with most things in my life.

Having time over the holidays to read and think inspired me to come up with even more resolutions.  I've even listed them (including the four previous) all together in my notebook.

I just did one of my new ones: Use "alone time" to play the piano. I got my Grade IX way back when, and even took lessons in my first year of university. I loved playing and even though I've had a long phase where I didn't feel like I missed it, well, I do now, lately.

So when M3I and Charlie  out to get provisions for dinner, instead of my slipping into my annual usual sadness-fest mourning the end of the holiday, I zipped over to the piano and played just a bit of the music that's currently sitting on the stand. I'm rusty, but I haven't completely lost it. Made me happy.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment