Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Trying not to be Ted Baxter

I've been a bit of a fried egg sandwich lately. Have a few issues with stress. But nothing to worry about. (Ha. Get it?) Working too much, not saying no enough. Plus I'm doing some work in a new area - so I'm lacking subject matter expertise. Learning new stuff is fun and exciting, and I like the new team a lot, but it's bringing back those old feelings of being insecure at good ol' Jobsite X.

Plus I've had to cancel (postpone, shurely) our annual trip out west (flights are too $$$), which means I won't be seeing my youngest brother and my niece this spring, which makes me just plain bloody sad.

On the good side of the ledger, I've been successfully working away at decluttering. Still stressful, yes, but also enjoyable. Finding cool stuff I'd forgotten about, getting all my favourite china set up and on display, sending the Sally Ann stuff to Sally Ann, and getting the Singing Lady stuff organized and packed away.

Plus, I'm finding it's just a little easier to keep things neater and cleaner in the household lately. Actually, in the interest of full disclosure, I seem to be cleaning - at least on the weekends - a bit frenetically.

Again, on the good side of the ledger, I think I'm working through what I need to, stresswise, workwise, and clutterwise.

As for handling people at work properly in order to reduce stress thing, I have to say no to people I like. I have to. I can't work all the time. But it's hard because I want to please, I aim to please, and I'm also insecure enough that if they go and ask someone else to do their bit of writing or editing, they might decide they like that other person's work better. (See episode of Mary Tyler Moore when it was discovered why Ted never took a vacation.)

Advice for others dealing with late winter funk-slash-stress-overload: do be empathetic to the citizens of Japan and New Zealand, and all the other peoples of the world that are enduring struggle. But do not watch news footage of disaster. You cannot and should not take it upon yourself to feel the pain of the earth.

3 comments:

  1. Please breathe? Please? You're a lovely person, really. Don't let things get on top of you! Hugs. I'm a very good hugger, trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Lynne!

    And, hurrah, they liked my copydeck! "You've got it - it's great."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the writing ... As I'm a freelancer, I can't ever say no in case they go elsewhere and don't come back to me. So sometimes I'm working weekends. And even after doing it for years, I worry that I'm not really any good at what I do.

    ReplyDelete