Sunday, February 27, 2011

This item has me in a panic


This ashtray sat on the end table in our family room throughout my entire happy childhood. The family room is part of my soul. My parents didn't smoke, so this item usually just held this and that - usually gum.

Getting rid of it is making me cry. I'm not joking.

I have nowhere to put it - other than in my now-empty top drawer of my dresser. Which doesn't exactly seem like a healthy location, since this process is NOT about hiding stuff; it's about looking at it. M3I doesn't want it around because it's an ashtray.

But sometimes an ashtray isn't just an ashtray.

4 comments:

  1. If you're one of those people who keep matches in the toilet (you know, to light as a natural antidote to odours), maybe that could be a good transition for the ashtray?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does it have to be an ashtray?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are having so much of love with that ashtray such that you do not want to get rid of that. And that surely makes you cry. You love the ashtray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, now when I look at the ashtray (which is currently sitting on the piano waiting to go to my brother's) I think more about how upset it made me!

    ReplyDelete