Saturday, February 26, 2011

Magazines

Anybody who's known me a lot time - and anybody who has ever helped me move - knows I have a thing for magazines. Which translates to I have a lot of 'em.

Before M3I and I moved in together a decade ago, I had two piles of mags (not including the ones in my to-be-read and my to-be-reread pile and also not including the ones on the back of the toilet and the ones on the coffee table in the living room). Both piles were just a bit higher than my dresser. So, let's see, that was two piles (excluding the above-mentioned) of 36 inches (roughly 90 cm), or one stack 6 feet high.

Slowly over the years I've been whittling away at it. Anticipating Charlie's birth, I gave up one of my bookshelves. A lot of magazines went out the door at that time. And over the years, I've gotten a wee bit better at... well, I was going to say better at not letting them accumulate, but that's not quite it. I haven't bought as many. For one, I'm busier in my off-hours than I was when I was single, plus we live really close to a public library, and I can binge on print for free, and then I have to give the stack back.

But now, I'm really decluttering. And it's having to include magazines. For example, two weeks ago, I was able to get rid of (which means putting down in the little reading room adjascent to the laundry room) a good size pile.

But since then, I've noticed the stack on the back of the toilet is getting too tall to fit my little travel bag on top of it (there's a shelf above), and I noticed there's a stack beside my bed, plus a milk crate full of them in the bedroom closet, plus one of the bookshelves in that close was also stacked with them.

Today I'm going to boil it down to the essentials. My goal is one stack that will fit in that spot under my travel bag. And it has to include the Style at Home and the Canadian Geographic I got in the mail yesterday. In short, it has to be One Stack, and that's all. Like I want to have fewer magazines that most normal people would have in their home, like in a magazine rack.

Not only that, Charlie and I are also going to sort his art materials, and go tobagganing. Wish me luck!

***

Okay, I'm back.

Here's what's left - and I mean really left. This is all. There are none in the walk-in closet in the bedroom and none on the floor in the bedroom and none in the ensuite (M3I has some in the bedroom, but I ain't gettin' rid of his (yet)). There are none in the living room. There are none under the bed or beside the bed. Just these, on the dining room table.

I got rid of:
Esquires (including anniversary editions),
People,
Canadian Geographic,
New Yorker,
New York magazine (including anniversary editions),
Toronto Life (including anniversary editions),
Harpers (including an anniversary edition from 1952),
Natural Home,
The Economist,
Us,
Bust,
More,
Our Canada,
In Style,
BBC Homes & Antiques,
ROM magazine,
Equinox,
Chatelaine,
MoneySense,
Today's Parent,
Style at Home,
Vogue,
Canadian House & Home,
and last but not least Shameless!
(I was going to link them all, but I gotta have a shower - we're actually going out for dinner!)

So, ta-dah!
This is all that's left.

That's it.

*applause?*

4 comments:

  1. Woah, that's a huge stack of magazines. That must've been a heavy load, they aren't light when piled on top of each other!

    Thanks for your thoughts regarding the earthquake. The city's still in ruins, but we're a strong bunch and it's awesome seeing everyone working together and helping out where they can! I'm off to shovel more silt with the Volunteer Army tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Magazine Addict* says - "what are doing with the ones you got rid of?" I share your glossy full colour pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ones I got rid of (and am getting rid of) are either already in the laundry room of our building, in the goodwill box, and in a giant pile right by our door.

    I'm feeling quite free about it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linnykins, I've been keeping up on the news about the earthquake! In fact, the Toronto Star is reporting on it too. I'm glad to hear you're doing well!!!

    ReplyDelete