Sunday, February 27, 2011

The decluttering continues - and it's not for the faint of heart

Okay, I'm at a really hard stage. I've had these boxes of my china and glassware in the dining room for a few weeks now. It had been hidden away filling up Charlie's bedroom closet for six years. So, I hauled it out and unpacked most all of it, and chose my favourites to put on display in our two cabinets. And I've been doing some great work, sending lots of stuff to goodwill and into recycling and into the trash. But I know I've been dancing around these boxes because I know it's going to be hard.

This process is about really looking at things, and not just skimming the surface and saying, ah whatever. You know, over the years, I've become quite adept at packing a vast quantity of stuff into small spaces. I've prided myself on being able to accomodate anything new (or found or discovered or given to me/us) bu packing the other stuff away even more efficiently.

And now the china is OUT where I can see it.

The problem is that there's lots of precious beautiful lovely stuff left over that won't fit in either of the two, count 'em two, cabinets. If I hadn't bought Aunt Leah's gorgeous 93-piece white and gold china set three years ago at auction, I'd have plenty of room. In theory, anyway. But thing is I love that china too, and we actually use it. We didn't register for china for our wedding, nor did we ask for any.

Sidebar for people planning a wedding:
Don't register for china or try to buy any! There are so many, many, many stunning, lovely, beautiful, expansive sets available out there at antique shops, shows and malls, not to mention auction houses (keep going, you'll find a set you love). I got my set, which includes a whole bunch of serving pieces, including three platters, for $180 - about the cost of one platter, new. It's slightly worn, since Leah used it and was a wonderful cook, it makes me a lot less hysterical about using it. Plus the wornness gives it a lovely tactile smoothness, plus you can think of all the delicious holiday meals of the past. (See what I mean about the meaning of things?)

Here's all my Leah china. It's Limoge, which isn't one of the fanciest names in China, but it's really nice.






Okay, now I've got to stop shillyshallying in front of the computer.

Back to the business at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment