Sunday, October 24, 2010

Have mercy on the copywriters for they know not what they're doing

Every morning on my way to work, I have to look at a giant face with giant greasy red lips and a blindfold. It's the new "Bisha" (ooh, how exotic! Tho, note, the real "Bisha" is a guy, not a blindfolded greasy-lipped model) condo tower. I find the huge eyeless head with the lips just plain gross, if not borderline offensive. It's so big I wouldn't be able to avoid looking at it (it's so big) unless I also was blindfolded.

Also nearby is the "Charlie" condo building. Its tagline? "Condos that love you." Tell me, does that not sound like the copyrighters have had all their ideas rejected and then at 1 a.m. in desperation they pitch "Condos that love you" and the wretched client loves it? It's a tagline that says they've given up. It's a tagline that says the client says, "we'll know it when we see it," which means they haven't a hot clue what they want.

In the paper this weekend, I found an add for the "Mercer". Look at this nonsense. Three tall, tall models (I say models because it's obvious) crossing King Street (I assume) a la the Beatles crossing Abbey Road. Of course, there were four Beatles, but whatever, what's a little detail when there's another condo to promote?

Here's the copy for the Mercer:
"Whether it's a mass movement, or an irreversible trend, the 'now crowd'--whom some have dubbed Generation Me--are heading downtown where 'what's going on' is always cool and chillin'. Be 'In The Now.' WHICH PUTS ME WHERE I WANT TO BE."

Where to start? What's with all the quotation marks? And, really, I'm pretty sure "Generation Me" was the yuppy folks when they were moving out of smoking pot and following the Grateful Dead and just starting to snort coke and go to Studio 54. I don't even need to comment on the "now crowd" or "cool and chillin'". Icky poo poo.

No comments:

Post a Comment