Sunday, April 18, 2010

A bit of a test

I'm alone at home right now, which doesn't happen too often. I should be alone for, oh, close to an hour and a half.

The problem? I started W8Watchers on Friday morning. There's lots of snacks here in this abode.

The reason(s) I started W8Watchers is that I'm at the weight I was almomst exactly six years ago when I was 9 months pregnant. I gained 26 lbs during that pregnancy. By the time Charlie was 1, I was back to my regular weight. Now six years later, with the help of a slowing metabolism and a great big appetite inspired by two years of Cipralex, I'm right back at that same weight.

For the past few weeks I've been trying to exercise - for strength and agility and to make up for the fact that I can't ride my bike these days. However, my feet get sore, and it's simply just a lot harder than it used to be. Add to that the fact that I can't really wear the same kind of clothes that I used to - it's hard to adjust. I saw some photos a friend took of me at Easter, and from the side in a group shot, I wondered who that woman was. It was jarring to realize a moment later that it was me.

So I joined up for the big WW - online. No meetings, thank the lord. It's cool - you basically just set your goal, and keep track of what you eat. I quickly found out that if I don't want to be chewing on the furniture I have to eat what the WW folks call "filling" foods, which means, from what I can gather, with enough fibre to make you feel full.

The other rude awakening was that I'm about 10 lbs above a healthy weight for my height and age. I've never before been above a healthy weight - most of my adult life I've been in the lower middle. So suddenly it's more meaningful. I want to live to be a 100. I don't even care if I keep all my marbles or not, as long as I can appreciate a sunny day and feast my eyes on my son, I'll be happy.

So, here I go. It's 5:43 pm on Day 3. I've got lots of points left for dinner, but if I snack on any non-"filling" foods, it'll blow my dinner out of the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment