Sunday, March 7, 2010

10-minute live blogging at the Oscars

Things I'm liking about this year's Academy Awards show at 10:42pm - presenters are now saying, "And the winner is..." instead of the recent years', "And the Oscar goes to..." The person who wins wins.

I'm liking the fact that the presenters are saying their whole bit each time, rather than nominees' names being pre-recorded. These folks are all actors, they all have to learn lines, it's good to see that they've learned them for this.

I liked Neil Patrick Harris - lovely performance with a sense of occasion - something this show has often lacked in the past. All these people get dressed up, planning for months, paying zillions for their frocks, and then, typically, a yahoo host yucks it up like they're doing standup on a university campus. Come on, you're Hollywood, put on a damn show! I didn't like Steve Martin any of the times he's hosted before, and I don't like him tonight for the same reason - he's not nice, and sometimes his humour is just plain old grumpy and mean. Years ago, when he was introducing Penelope Cruz, I was completely offended. Before she came on stage, he listed select titles of a few of her films - i.e. "Blow" and "Woman on Top" and then said something along the lines of, now doesn't that paint a picture in your mind. Not funny. What was even worse is that nobody even mentioned it the next day - I felt that in the feminism heyday of the 70s, his horribly offensive comments would've been news.

Also, didn't like Martin and Baldwin's opening "comedy" bit - why the roast? Why talk about Meryl Streep the entire time? They look grumpy - Martin in particular - that they don't have Oscars. We don't care about you - give us a show!

Anyway, maybe they should've let Alec Baldwin do it on his own - he's got great comedy chops on SNL and 30 Rock. Better yet, get a Broadway guy who knows something about putting on a live show in front of a live audience - like Hugh Jackman did last year - or like Neil Patrick Harris was doing tonight until - zip - he was gone.

I love the set - glamour, class, and I like the sparkles, of course. And all the circles - just like the Olympic rings. And the rack of old fashioned lamps that goes up and down, like that too.

I also really like Sandra Bullock's sparkly shiny dress - magpie heaven - she's not pretending this isn't a great big fancy-dress party - it is!

Also, the in memoriam segment - lovely to have a live human as a focal point, and James Taylor was sweet.

Okay, now better check out the dance number going on behind me (computer is in the dining room; tv in LR). Ballet nice. Long number tho.

Oh, and I liked Tina Fey's little red carpet interview with BenMo - she was nice to him and gave him her full attention, she was funny, and said (cuz she knew he's Cdn), hey great job at the Olympics you guys. Actually I love her. Revere her.

Wait, did they just cut off The Cove winners because the guy held up a sign about dolphins? Something awkward just happened there.

Tyler Perry, the guy presenting best film editing - is great! Funny, speaking big - I like that. It's the Oscars - be excited! Yeah! Get him to host next year. I remember years ago, every time they'd get Audrey Hepburn to present, I would think, now that's how to present an award - like this is the most special day of the winner's life.

Ah Martin and Baldwin come out again. Martin insults Baldwin again. Baldwin doesn't respond. I know for a fact he's thinking "this hosting gig isn't fun, I want to go home".

And now, I'm gonna turn this computer off and watch what's going on for the rest of the show - why is Michelle Pfeiffer, Colin X, Tim Robbins, etc. coming out? Gnight. I'm going to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment