Monday, December 7, 2009

Writing backwards, Part I

Actually, it's more than just seeing all our old albums that's got me all happy and excited.

It's the moving of the furniture.

I used to have a bit of a "thing" - some of my friends might've called it a compulsion - whatever it was, this thing or compulsion used to make me rearrange my furniture. A lot. Like every two weeks or so. Usually in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep, which was often.

It was like a mental itch, a feeling like I'd forgotten something, or something was slightly amiss. I'd try to ignore it, because part of me would be happy with my still-new furniture arrangement, and I also felt that moving stuff around that often was in fact a little weird. But then there'd be a night when I wouldn't be able to sleep, and the new plan would've been forming in my head the whole time, even going back to when I arranged it earlier, making mental notes for next time all along the way. Once I'd get everything rearranged, I'd rest easy - actually, just easier. I never rested easy.

In my defense, I'll say that it was the first time in several years that I'd lived in more than one room. So I had not a lot of furniture, and lots of space, and nice smooth old hard wooden floors. This gave me scope for a multitude of combinations.

It's true, I did need therapy. But two other changes in my life were what I needed to actually stop doing this.

1) I moved into a new career: editing, which allowed me to channel all this energy and control issues into my work. And
2) I moved to a new apartment. This one had a problem (which I'll go into later).

But now, today, here at my desk, I'm just worried that M3I and Charlie are at home rearranging the furniture without me. Cuz it's still MY thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment