Sunday, September 20, 2009

I don't get it.

I'm taking a little break. I'm spending the day sorting receipts from 2007 and 2008 so I can (eventually) do my tax returns for those years (at some point very soon, really) - and I just got a gigantic paper cut.

All this amounts to less than a hill of beans, except that the sorting is allowing my mind to wander. Just outside our window is the sidewalk that Mariam Makhniashvili walked along almost a week ago, only to disappear. Roughly 15 minutes after she took that path, I did. It could've been sooner or a little later - I don't remember the exact time I left for work, but she could've hopped onto my bus, she might've been hanging out on the corner, but I've been wracking my brains and I can't remember seeing her. There's so many teenagers around the school at that time of the morning, and they do truthfully all pretty much look alike, and they all have gigantic backpacks.

Other than what happened to her, where is she, is she okay, is she alive, here's what I don't get: why'd they "scale down" the search yesterday? Friday night there was still at least 10 (as far as we could see) police cars lined up along the street, even blocking the driveway to her building.

Saturday morning, I looked out the windown and saw the top of a satellite antenna from a news truck. When we went outside about an hour later, it was gone and there's only the police "command centre" left. WTF?

And why'd they wait until Thursday and Friday to "scale it up" when she'd gone missing on Monday.

I shouldn't be getting mad at the police - they didn't make her disappear. But I don't get it.

Also, there's messages going out asking for her to return. Are any of them in Georgian, presumably her first language? Or Russian, which she likely understands better than English. The reports keep saying she speaks little English. Obviously I don't know everything they're doing, but...

Most recent news: they've "expanded" the search, which means they can get help from other police units. Hallelujah.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your post. I was wondering the same thing. I am also a neighbor. I am really concerned about what happened. I am really glad that there is someone else wondering how come we found out about her disappearance only on Thursday??? Even students in FHCI were not informed until Wednesday... Thank you again. I also wrote about her on my blog...

    ReplyDelete