Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Ride ahead

Tomorrow morning at 7:15 I'll be gathering with thousands of other cyclists at the starting line of the Ride for Heart, in support of the Heart & Stroke Foundation.

The Gardiner Expressway and the Don Valley Parkway will be free of cars, and instead crowded with the likes of us. It's a total treat to ride on these otherwise hostile highways, and the sheer thrill of this has played a big part in my decision to ride in this event again. Also, heart attacks and strokes run in my family and my husband's family, so it's an obviously worthy cause. So far, I've raised $645, which means I won two prizes (not expecting these), a cool, uber-butchie, black and red Ride shirt and a hydration pack (an odd little backpack you can fill with water and while you ride, you can drink the water from a tube; it's weird).

The forecast so far is rather lousy, but as long as it's not torrential rain, I think it'll be okay.

Earth Hours #4, #5, and #6 update
Thursday night - before I put Charlie to bed, I once again got my candle out, turned off all the lights, and even took out the bathroom nightlight. I once again read to Charlie from Frog and Toad, and as he lay his head down and drifted off, I did too, just after 9:30 p.m.

Once again, it's quite easy to cut the ol' power use when one simply sleeps through it.

Last night - same story. *Sigh*

Tonight, I'll likely do it again, since I'll be leaving our place at approximately 6 o'clock tomorrow morning, and I'll need my zeds.

Despite the fact that my Earth Hours pledge has been made easy by my early nights, it has had an effect on me and, I think, my hub. We're keeping a lot of the lights off that we'd ordinarily keep on. I'm a lighting freak; I like it to be just so, and I scramble to turn on particular lights at particular times - to make myself feel homey, I guess. But this small pledge is making me break free a bit. It's sorta like travelling; you're forced to let go of your usual comforts. And it makes you feel like you can be free of them.

Buy Nothing New update
I'm doing pretty well on this front. I've not done any shopping, except for today, when Charlie and I went to the Salvation Army Thrift Shop. Charlie picked out a video and a wallet, and I bought a Liz Cl@ib0rne blouse and a white J@c0b cardigan. Total $13 and change.

PS: those prizes I won for my heart and stroke fundraising - I'm suddenly thinking now I shouldn't've taken them. I've pledged to not buy anything new, right? I know I didn't buy them, but both items are new. Hmm. When I went to pick up my Ride ID sticker (you can't enter without it), I didn't realize I'd get a prize, so when they handed them to me, I was so surprised, I didn't really know what to do. I do remember, in the back of my mind, thinking, what the heck am I going to do with the hydration pack, but I was just to surprised and possibly inhibited to refuse it. I have to consider what the right thing to do is. I'm thinking maybe I should Goodwill it. But the shirt? Not sure. I kinda like it. Does that make a difference? I'll ask my hub, one of the most ethical people I know.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I haven't checked in for a while and I'm so impressed! By the Kindergarten concert/dance, the earth hours, the nothing-buying! And I totally forgot to pledge -- I'm so sorry. Probably it's because my laptop died and that's where I have the info. I hope the ride is good!

    ps Aren't Frog and Toad just great?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not a purchase, it's a gift. Go ahead and use both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did wear the shirt on the Ride yesterday, and my husband thinks I should hang onto the camel pack. Might come in handy on a longer ride sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. Gifts and prizes are in no way purchases -- and since you didn't know you were getting them, then it's ethically totally clean!

    Interesting though, that even in your best efforts not to purchase, in fact in your best efforts to give money to a good cause from other people, thereby NOT BUYING ANYTHING, you are still weighed down with the responsibility of new stuff.

    Odd culture, ain't it?

    ReplyDelete