Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Last night was almost a complete failure

... Earth-Hour-wise, that is.

Despite my best efforts, I fell asleep, after reading Charlie three stories. And I was so convinced of my future intended ability to stay awake - optimistically ignorning my record of the past week - I left a couple of lights on, and my laptop was just asleep (like me), and not shut down.

I woke up, all bleary, at about ten to 11, brushed teeth, inhaled all my various asthma substances, and went to bed again, vowing to do better next time, and comforting myself with my Buy Nothing New success of the day! Here's how it went.

On my way home from work last night, I had to stop by a well-known drug-store chain - I know many of my friends know which one I'm talking about - to buy one single item.

Never in the history of my life have I ever gone in there and emerged with just the one single item I went in for. In fact, I've often become so distracted with all the New Stuff they have available to Buy there, that I've emerged with 11 new items but sans the thing I actually needed.

But last night, I did it. And it was a bit difficult. I almost grabbed a magazine, a bag of chips, a tin of almonds, and I fondled a sparkly, but cheap and ultimately disposable necklace - and left them all behind.

Then, if that wasn't virtuous enough, after I paid for my one single item, I popped it into the handy reusable grocery sack that I had stashed in my purse.

Score for Monday, June 8, at 10:50 p.m.:
Earth Hour: 0
Buy Nothing New: 1, but a really sweet 1.

And then the Earth had its own say, grabbing back the power I had wasted with my lights-left-on-snooze: the power in our building went out. For a good while, I think.

A co-incidence? I think not.
Earth Hour: 1
Buy Nothing New: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment