Thursday, June 4, 2009

Joy, pride, delight and anxiety

Charlie's school concert was yesterday - all the kindergarten kids were performing a dance. Charlie's been practicing at home and for our various family members since at least March. And since the K kids didn't get included in the Holiday concert at Christmas (boo!), I was looking forward to this rather a lot.

In addition to the fact that it's a small school, so we know lots of the kids throughout the grades. (But who cares about them!)

We sat in the front row - we were there early to get a good seat - and waited. The curtain was closed, and we watched various pairs of feet gather on the stage. My husband and I fretted as we watched to find Charlie's shoes appear. Ah, there they were. Charlie was positioned front and centre of the stage. OMG!

The curtain opened, the drumming began, and our boy danced and danced. My camera takes 30 second videos, and I got four of them. Then, much too quickly, it was over, the wondrous magical kids took their bows, adorably. And the curtain closed.

I quickly plopped my camera into my bag, almost dropping it. I was so anxious I couldn't feel my arms.

Later, in the evening, before I was put him to bed, I got my candle-in-a-jar out and took the nightlight out of the bathroom, in preparation for Earth Hour #3.

I read Charlie a story from Frog and Toad, "Spring is just around the corner", and we chatted about the concert, and I told him I was proud of him. He harrumphed and smiled. And slept. And, er, so did I.

My Earth Hour Tip for Day #3. It sure is easy to keep the power off when you're asleep. Didn't even waste a match.

No comments:

Post a Comment