Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bless me father, for I have sinned

... a lot. Or a bit. Or somewhat. Depending on the Pledge-Deity's mood today.

Our apartment this morning was hot. Like Africa hot. I-don't-think-I-can-stay-here hot. I got dressed without opening the curtains or raising the blind so as to prevent the boiling hot sun from further heating up the bedroom. I grabbed the first thing I knew wouldn't make me boil even more, a yellow sleeveless top with a keyhole thingie with a tie. Then I put on the shorts I wore home yesterday, and grabbed a pair of pants to put on when I got to work, folded them up and put them in my bag.

I got to the office, which was very air conditioned, and changed into my pants.

And checked myself in the mirror and saw - Aaaargh - A large, middle-aged rectangle woman with enormous b0s0ms with a teeny tiny head on top. I'd foolishly tucked the yellow top into my shorts, and so it was too wrinkled to wear over the unfortunately high-waisted pants, so I had to tuck them in. Oh dear. I uttered a nasty, sinful oath.

I have gained quite a lot of weight since this time a year ago. It may be the hormone funfest, it may be the meds, it may be my only-recently eschewed snacking, I dunno. I don't even know how much I weigh, but I do know that all my summer clothes are too small.

Usually I only run into wardrobe malfunction danger when I ride my bike, because I choose and pack my clothes quickly and put them on later at work, but I think I was in that dangerous cycling headspace this morning because I had to run downstairs to my bike to remove the seat in order to return it. To The Store.

So as soon as the store opened, I did return the bike seat and the tool thingie, and then coolly went to the women's clothing area and tried on a bunch of items.

And bought.

New things.

Four organic t-shirts, ranging in price from $12-$15. One pair of quick-dry shorts (so I don't have to wear my hub's shorts anymore), and a pair of ultra-light capris.

When I got back to the office, I googled how to look cool wearing a brooch. I had a brooch on my desk that co-incidentally matches the t-shirt I bought (and paid for while wearing it because I was too embarrassed to be seen for another minute in that tucked-in yellow-keyhole getup) and I have my fab G00dwill jacket here today, and I wanted to put the brooch on it without looking any more middle aged than I felt.

This lady's blog came to the rescue, and you have to check it out.

So I'm wearing the brooch low, replacing the button on the bottom pocket (it's a short jacket). And I just got a compliment.

I'm not sure how to feel about breaking my pledge so thoroughly. I'm trying to rationalize it by pointing out the organic stuff. Confessing hasn't really made me feel better. But I look better.

No comments:

Post a Comment