Friday, April 24, 2009

His first school concert...

... and I almost missed it.

Charlie's class had their first-ever school performance this morning, singing "It's a Small World After All" for Earth Week.

The note came home in his backpack weeks ago, and truly seemed like no big deal, saying parents could attend, but not like an invitation. It was to begin at 9:15 a.m. on April 24, which at that point was a long way off.

But this morning, I just felt like lagging behind schedule. I was feeling extra-sentimental about my little family - it's 10 years today that I met my husband - and as he sliced up a breakfast orange, Charlie played the piano (It's a Small World After All, naturally) with the sunshine coming in the window lighting the top of his hair. I suddenly realized that he and my husband had to be at the school, which is practically across the street, in less than a half an hour, so we'd all be leaving our place together. Me for work, them for the concert.

Duh!

I ran into the bedroom and phoned the office, saying I'd be late and I'd explain later.

We got to the school, dropped Charlie at his classroom door, and joined the throng of kindergarten parents outside the gym. Everyone was there, mommys and daddys and baby brothers and sisters and even grandparents, all with cameras (babies with cheerios).

Each child wore a big card showing a picture, created by the kids, illustrating a line from the song. Charlie and the two little boys beside him were mountains; some were laughter, some were tears, the little girl next to him was the ocean.

The performance was adorable and the kids were beautiful, and my precious boy waved at us and smiled and even sang.

Don't know what I was thinking before. I took my eyes off the road for a minute there. But I sure am glad I smartened up.

1 comment:

  1. That's so lovely. And thank god you didn't miss it! Now *that* would have been something to cry about!

    ReplyDelete