Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20, 2009

I don't think I'm quite the right person to comment on today. So, I'm posting this, (with permission) from our office admin assistant (also an actress and writer), in an all-staff email yesterday:

On November 4, 2008 Barack Obama was elected America’s first African-American president and I was astounded. Unlike some people who felt that it wasn’t a big deal and a foregone conclusion I was sceptical that he would get elected because of my personal experiences and those of my American brethren. Thankfully I was proven wrong and Obama is going to be sworn in as the 44th president of the United States of America on January 20. His ascension is proof that we all stand on the shoulders of giants to get to the top; nobody does it on their own.

In the midst of the deadlines, the snow and the endless meetings I’m hoping that we can all take a moment and witness history taking place tomorrow. The Inauguration will be on in the lunch room accompanied by breakfast (provided generously by the exec). While we cannot say we were in Washington on the Mall when Obama raised his hand over the Lincoln Bible we can witness history being made, however remotely. So, meet me in the lunchroom after 9 am and we’ll celebrate this historic event because it’s not just an American triumph, it’s a world celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment