Monday, January 12, 2009

Easing back in with a meme

Mary at The Eleventh has (at my request) given me five interview questions to answer, passing along a meme that's making its way around some very cool blogs. Here are the questions she sent — and my (interpretation of the questions and their) responses.

1. What was the worst birthday present you ever received?
I can’t recall a crappy birthday present - my birthday is in the summer, which always seems to make it extra sweet - but I did receive a Valentine’s Day present that stands out. Many years ago, the fellow I was seeing at the time presented me with a Pez dispenser. He so thoughtfully picked it up on the way to my place where I’d made a gorgeous steak dinner. He said the flowers at the subway station looked too crappy and figured the Pez dispenser would be much more appreciated because it was “funny”. I don’t even remember what kind it was – Donald Duck maybe? - because I crushed it with my boot and threw it away. And broke up with him a few days later. Then went out with him again. Then broke up with him again. Ugh.

2. If you could go back to your childhood and alter the course of one event with your family, what would it be?
For many, many, many reasons, the one really big thing I'd change is I’d have gone to a university that was closer to home. Not that bad things can’t happen at, say, Trent, but I think I would’ve been much happier than I was if I'd been able to visit my family more often, and I would’ve been able to be there a bit more for my youngest brother.

3. What is the biggest risk you have ever taken?
Hmm. Going into therapy the first time. I don’t know if technically that counts as a risk, but it sure felt like one, and it was the biggest leap of faith I've ever taken in my life. And it was definitely the scariest thing I’ve ever done. And it totally paid off because I now have the wonderful life I do because of it.

4. Assuming all goes as you wish, what will you say at the end of the year when someone asks you what your proudest accomplishment was?
I secured fulltime employment and we did not increase our debt.

5. What movie that other people loved did you absolutely NOT love, and why?
Atanarjuat and Modern Times. Both are beautifully shot, but too misogynistic, which taints any acclaim, for my money. Also, I’ll throw in As Good As it Gets because no way would she have gone for him. And there's a movie I loved that nobody else I know did: After Hours – I thought it was hilarious: poor Griffin Dunne, just like Dorothy, just wants to get home. Back in my 20s I had many nights like felt like that one.

And for those who'd like a challenge,
1. Email me (or leave me a comment) saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. (I get to pick the questions).
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting to me that you found "Atanarjuat" to be misogynistic. My memories of it are nothing like that.

    What I find interesting is the idea that there is something about a film -- an actor, the cinematography, the overall style -- that convinces you to buy into it, to start actually wanting to like it. If that happens, I've noticed that people can forgive things that they otherwise would not. I think that Atanarjuat got me rooting for it, and I wanted to like it, and what I'm left with now is just a general positive vibe about it. I do specifically remember the scenery, though. It was beautiful.

    BTW, I love the Pez story. Especially where you crush it with your boot. It'd make a great scene.

    ReplyDelete