Sunday, November 30, 2008

Lilith

I found a wonderful Canadian feminist blog called "Lilith Attack". The blogger is a confident and proud feminist, and her little profile icon is a great portrait of Lilith with a huge snake wrapped around her; she looks pretty damn happy with that snake. And since I'm all about snakes lately (at least in my dreams) and I love Lilith, I'm adding this blog to my list.

My mom first told me about the intrepid Lilith, Adam's first wife, way back when I was in high school. In fact, my Catholic, although slightly wicca-y, mom even told me that Lilith left him because she didn't like being in the missionary position. That meant Adam was left all alone, poor guy, so God made Eve for him, and she was way easier to get along with.

I always had trouble with the story of Eve and just did not believe she made Adam eat that damn apple. Doesn't sound too docile to me. I mean, let's be truthful. Back in high school and university, who was usually trying to get someone to do something they weren't sure was a good idea, or just plain didn't want to do? The girls? Not bloody likely.

Of course I also thought that God should be encouraging Adam and Eve to eat from the tree of knowledge. Forbidding knowledge? It made no sense.

But I've never liked to see either sex maligned. When I was a child it bothered me that on TV shows it was usually the man getting a pie in the face. Didn't seem fair. However, I thought that only boys were altar boys because they needed to spend time being holy because they were badder than girls, and that girls were already good.

Artist John Collier, who seemed to really like painting nudes, painted this portrait of Lilith in 1892. I got it from wikimedia and it's the same painting that's on Lilith Attack. Gorgeous.

1 comment:

  1. Hi WIE!
    Thanks so much for the nod, I'm pleased you found my blog and enjoy it. After a quick purusal of your posts, it's great to read perspectives of other business people. I'm a business woman and indeed a proud feminist at heart and always offering my feminist ojections and reminders in a male-dominated industry.

    I love Lilith mythology and am very spired by possible Lilith references in the book of Genesis. She's a powerful character and contrast to Eve and uxorious Adam.

    In sisterhood,
    Lilith Attack

    ReplyDelete