Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Another learning curve

I'm on a new team this week -- still at the same place, freelance. I'm filling in for a project manager who's away for three weeks. It seems like a ton of projects, mainly because I'm unfamiliar with them, and they're all somewhere in the middle of their production schedules. It's just so uncomfortable not knowing stuff!

I'm still happy there and everyone's still being very nice to me and they're being appreciative, and for that I'm grateful. But - did I mention? I don't enjoy not knowing what I'm doing, or looking like I don't know what I'm doing.

I just spent most of the day fiddling around with a bunch of layouts done in MS Word (ugh), and also trying to write stuff based on a very brief brief that I didn't understand. So - and I'm very proud of myself for doing this - I called the client and asked her to rebrief me. Understand, I hate looking like I don't know what I'm doing, and I essentially called her up and admitted it. And she very cheerfully told me what was required, sent me some more info, and, well, whew! I got it all done and sent it off by EOD, which is when she was expecting it. Took me all day, but got it done.

The really good news: I'm home, got snow tires on the new car today, and I'm having a nice delicious salad my husband made with avacado in it, and a nice delicious glass of sherry. Plus, and this is no small plus, he and Charlie made gingerbread cookies today. Mmm-mm!

1 comment:

  1. The best thing you could have done was what you did--call and ask them to rebrief you. Better to feel a little silly up front than to screw up and feel awful.

    Those cookies look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete