Friday, September 12, 2008

I have fought the good fight

I have finished the course.

I quit.

The story after I complained to the senior manager on Friday? Well, I should've known what would happen.

I worked all weekend. Came in Monday. B*** had the day off. Tuesday she said she couldn't meet with me as requested because she didn't have time.

Wednesday morning, b*** and senior manager to whom I complained ambushed me with a meeting. First senior manager asked me to repeat all of my complaints about b***, but in her presence. I said I had to get my notes; when I came back, they had repositioned themselves around the meeting table so they were both facing me. Oh yeah. I then just gave my two key points, with a suggestion on how we could work together going forward.

The response: b*** had a list of all her complaints about me. Oh yeah. Example, on Wednesday, August 27, you handed me X to proof and it had an incomplete sentence in it! Etc., etc. Then senior manager joined in, essentially disregarding my complaints. My request that my editorial production schedule allow for some (I've been requesting modest flexibility, like a day or two) flexibility as long as the delivery date doesn't change? That just means that I've created a BAD SCHEDULE! Like, who cares if somebody pulls a page of content because the information isn't ready for release. I should just be able to fill it, I guess.

Anyway, then the two of them went through my rough draft manuscript, and tore it apart with vicious criticism - skipping one part, saying they didn't even read this page (implication: it was too terrible). All 18 pages. Boy, that was fun! My defence: it was an incomplete draft. The whole reason we're here is that I said I needed more time in the schedule. My schedule. I do the whole thing; I should just have to let them know, in advance, when they will receive the draft to review. Why do they care so much if it's Monday or Wednesday?

The response: Again, if you have to change it, it's a bad schedule. Plus, they didn't think I could've done a better draft with two extra days anyway (despite all historical evidence to the contrary).

Ah!

So yesterday, I quit. B*** seemed relieved, and was back to fakey nicey nice. Senior manager was very upset! Shocked! Surprised! Kept me in there for an hour. Wanted to know, did she do something wrong?

I've tried every single thing I could think of to make this job work. But I am just so done. I'm very aware that some of what they said makes me look bad. And after I leave, it will be said that I did not do a good job because of things like incomplete sentences in rough drafts.

But every time I did accomplished something, it was disregarded and overlooked. Like delivering the magazine, in English & French, on time (despite the request for translation coming far into the production schedule and b*** not covering the project while I was on holiday as promised), readable and fun, chock-full of information, and then with glowing comments coming from the president, and from staff all over North America.

So, I'm done. Back to freelance until I find another fulltime position. Putting us back into financial uncertainty. And leaving behind a very cool project, which I excelled at and enjoyed.

Anyway, the next two weeks might be a little easier. I immediately transitioned one of my projects to one of my colleagues (who wanted the project). B*** proofread it, it got released, and there was a big fat mistake in it.

2 comments:

  1. What can I say? Nobody was put on this earth for the purpose of corporate bullshit. Some people don't know that yet *coughb*sscough* I'm glad you're out.

    Thanks for writing about it - I was wondering how it went down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say? Nobody was put on this earth for the purpose of corporate bullshit. Some people don't know that yet *coughb*sscough* I'm glad you're out.

    Thanks for writing about it - I was wondering how it went down.

    ReplyDelete